Self-care is something we don’t prioritise enough. My marriage breakdown and diagnosis of post-natal depression and anxiety was the major catalyst for me to finally start prioritising my self-care. It has been a crucial part of maintaining some balance in my life and making sure that I don’t push myself too hard
Sometimes self-care can seem out of reach for a lot of reasons, with time and money being the big ones. But self-care doesn’t need to be an extravagant day at a spa for it to be effective and in fact, I’ve found the small acts of self-care that I can work into my daily life are the most effective.
With that in mind, I’ve put together a list of some self-care activities that you can do for under $20 as a reminder that it self-care is achievable in small but significant ways.
This also serves as a good reminder for myself of things I can do to treat myself. I find that the times when I need self-care the most are the times I have a hard time thinking of things to do, so having a list written helps me have an easy reference point when I am in dire need of some self-care.
So this is my list of self-care activities you can do under $20 (or for free), but I’d highly recommend writing your own list of things that stand out to you from this list and add some things that appeal to you so that you have a list to hand when you feel like you’re in need of some self-care.
- Read a good book or magazine
- Take a bath – bonus points for using a homemade bath bomb!
- Go out for brunch (or coffee and cake) at your favourite cafe on your own
- Take yourself to a movie
- Go for a long walk or bike ride – preferably somewhere pretty
- Take a day trip to a nearby town you’ve been meaning to visit
- Visit an art gallery
- Paint your nails a pretty colour
- Pamper yourself with a face mask
- Bake some muffins or a cake
- Visit your local flower market or farmers market and buy yourself some flowers
- Go op-shopping
- Visit your local library and browse the shelves for a new book to read
- Meditate, even if it’s just for 10 minutes (try the Headspace, Smiling Mind or Insight Timer apps)
- Go to bed early
- Do some yoga (I like Yoga with Adriene on Youtube)
- Binge watch a favourite TV show
- Have a cup of your favourite hot drink – tea, coffee, hot chocolate, chai… your choice!
- Put your favourite music on and dance around the house
- Cook yourself your favourite meal
I hope this has given you some ideas for some easy and affordable self-care activities you can do next time you’re in need of a little ‘me’ time.
If you want to keep this list for future reference, you can pin the below image onto Pinterest!
What is your best self-care idea?